The Clerk of the Legislative Assembly is responsible for the overall management and budget of the Legislative Assembly.
She provides procedural advice to the Speaker and Members of the Legislature in accordance with the Standing Orders and other statutes that govern the Legislature as well as having resort to the practice of the United Kingdom House of Commons.
The Clerk keeps the votes and proceedings of the House and Committees of the whole and is responsible for the custody of the votes, records, Bills and other documents laid before the House.
Together with the Speaker, the Clerk signs all legislation passed by the House for the Governor's assent.
Under the direction of the Speaker the Clerk is responsible for the production of official reports of all speeches made in the House or in Committee of the whole.
The Clerk is the Registrar of Interests and the Honorary Secretary of the Cayman Islands Branch of the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association and coordinates arrangements for visiting parliamentary delegations, conferences and seminars.
Additionally, she sits as the Clerk of all the Standing Select Committees of the Legislative Assembly.
Clerks of the Cayman Islands Legislative Assembly
- Mrs Zena Merren-Chin, 2009 – present
- Ms Wendy Lauer, 2001–2009
- Mrs Georgette Myrie, MBE, JP, 1987–2001
- Mrs E Gay Jackson, 1984–1987
- Hon Sybil I McLaughlin, MBE, JP, National Hero, 1959–1984
Deputy Clerks of the Legislative Assembly
- Mrs Sharon K Smith, JP, 2001 – present
- Ms Wendy Lauer, 1981–2001
- Mrs Arlene Woods
- Mrs Mercedes Jackson
- Mrs Edna M Moyle, JP, 1971–1979
Assistant Clerks of the Legislative Assembly
- Ms Debra Broderick, 2017 – present
- Ms Da’Vina Ramoutar, 2016 – 2020
- Ms Shiona Allenger, 2013 – 2015
- Ms Nana Bothwell, 1982 – 2013
- Mrs Sharon K Smith, 1973–2001
Assistant Clerks II of the Legislative Assembly
- Miss Manesa Webb, 2017 – present
- Miss LeSanneo McLaughlin, 2013 – 2017