You are here: Homepage > Press Room > Previous Press Releases > Election Concludes
Published 21st May 2009, 12:47pm
Voting in the 2009 Cayman Islands General Election and National Referendum has concluded, with the final election results now available. The full day of polling during the national holiday (Wednesday, 20 May) concluded at 6 p.m., and was followed by a marathon counting process which ended around 3:30 a.m. today (Thursday, 21 May). The results of the constitution referendum will be made public this afternoon.
There was a slightly higher turnout for the 2009 election. There are 15,361 registered electors. Of these, a total of 12,362 voters (80.56% of those registered) cast their ballots in the six districts; whereas in 2005, a total of 10,527 electors (80.51%) voted. Of those ballots cast, 12,209 were valid.
The results of the popular vote, and the Cayman Islands' 15 elected Members of the Legislative Assembly are as follows:
- West Bay: McKeeva Bush (2,067); Rolston Anglin (1,966), Cline Glidden (1,740), and Capt Eugene Ebanks (1,570).
- George Town: Kurt Tibbetts (2,181); Mike Adam (2,110); Alden McLaughlin (2,081) Elio Solomon (1,845).
- Bodden Town: Mark Scotland (1,453), Anthony Eden (1,394) and Dwayne Seymour (1,030).
- North Side: Ezzard Miller (253).
- East End: Arden McLean (304).
- Cayman Brac and Little Cayman: Moses Kirkconnell (473); and Julianna O'Connor-Conolly (447).
Supervisor of Elections Kearney Gomez expressed thanks to all involved in the process, including the electors, candidates, agents as well as the elections workers, support staff and the media. The final figures for all candidates, as well as supporting documentation on the process, are posted on the Elections Office website.